Day 2 and the Hobbits
So we've decided to alternate who gets to write. Its my (Melissa) turn. Today we grabbed a ham and cheese muffin from one of the many cafes for breakfast before our 2 hour trip to Matamata (pronounced Metameta). Foreigners must have a hard time ordering coffee at Starbucks in the US. After ordering, we figured out that a 'flat white' is coffee with cream and 'short black' is a shot of coffee without cream. And knowing is half the battle.
We finally reach Matamata after trying to decifer the freeway system. On the smaller highways, instead of freeway exits, they have roundabouts... everywhere. And 'give way' signs. Talk about challenging driving. But Chris has been doing great. Day 2 wiper total up to 16. I've got 1... but I only drove 3 blocks. *sigh* Its pretty darn tough.
Hobbiton is on the property of the Alexander family farm. The farm is huge. After a 15 minute drive from the bus stop we drive thru about 3 sheep gates and about 10 minutes latter we get to Hobbiton. 
Only 17 out of 37 hobbit holes are left. The family had to sign some kind of agreement with the movie people so they can't alter the holes in any way... even to restore them. But I guess they're luck to get what they've got. I'm sure they're making $$$ with their tours going for $50NZ per person. Good thing for the exchange rate. =) We saw the Party Tree, Bagend, and lots of markers of where things used to be. It was pretty cool. Didn't see any Hobbits though. We'll keep looking.
Fish and Chips... great lunch. They're everywhere here. We grabbed a bite before heading 1.5 hours to Lake Taupo for our next hotel. 
Lakeland Resort. A lot bigger than the Auckland hotel. About average size compared to a motel in CA. One drawback, no screens on the windows.... bugs. But a nice view of the lake. 
We drove to the Huka Falls and the Craters of the Moon... a geothermal reserve. All free. Can't beat that. Awesome forces of nature, across the road from each other.
Sidenote... we've come to the conclusion that all radio commercials sound like Outback Steakhouse commercials. And there's tons of internet cafes. I think they purposely have slow computers so they can charge you for the time.
Tongue and Groove. That's where we had dinner. Chris loved his Thai Fish Salad. My pasta was pretty good too. Originally he was so hungry he was willing to eat at McDonalds. We're in New Zealand, why the heck do you want McDonalds???? Luckily I talked him out of it. He claims that he went crazy for a split second. Good thing he snapped out of it.
So far the trips been great fun. Chris likes how they talk here. He's trying to assimilate. I too have found myself saying "theynk yeww". Not sure why. I didn't even notice... Chris caught me. Its been pretty hot today. Getting cloudy with some wind in the evening.
Tomorrow we head out to Wellington on our 6 hour drive. See you there.
The complete set of pics for Day 2


1 Comments:
Have you seen any clone commanders? Since Jango's dead, some of the Republic clones were made into Clone Commanders and had traits similar ot Jango Fett. God, I'm a geek.
Post a Comment
<< Home